Fresh garland can give any space a festive look and make homes feel cozy during the holidays. Whether it’s wrapped around porch columns, draped along a mantel or incorporated into Christmas trees for a fuller display, Pike Nurseries offers a variety of garland types (and helpful measuring tips) for every decorating purpose.
- Cedar Garland: A relatively flat and flexible choice, this is the easiest type of garland to use when draping across mantels and creating swags.
- Mixed Cedar Garland: This type of garland is intertwined with sprigs of blue juniper berries for added interest and the fullest look.
- Fraser Fir Garland: Since most Christmas trees are Fraser Firs, this variety blends well with décor for a consistent look, in addition to it being highly fragrant.
- White Pine Garland: For mailbox poles, columns and banisters, White Pine Garland is an excellent choice because it’s thin and flexible. It’s also the most economical for decorating large areas like fence lines.
Like garland, fresh wreaths are a popular décor choice during the winter months. They can be hung on front doors, on windows, in front of mirrors and used to create a festive centerpiece. Pike Nurseries offer 10 different types of wreaths ranging in size from 24 to 48 inches. A few popular choices include:
- Mixed Wreath: A traditional selection with a variety of tree boughs and pine cones.
- Noble Fir Wreath: Simple, yet elegant, this bluish-green variety is created from lightly fragrant Noble Fir branches.
- Boxwood Wreath: This wreath is created using leaves from the Boxwood shrub and can add a stately feel to any holiday décor.
- Williamsburg Wreath: Inspired by Colonial Williamsburg, this wreath is adorned with lifelike fruits and nuts, making it a colorful addition to any home.
- Snow-flocked Wreath: Similar to snow-flocked Christmas trees, these wreaths are dusted with snow flocking for a winter wonderland style. Flocking material is flame-retardant and pet- and child-safe.
In addition to being gorgeous holiday accents, both garland and wreaths are fairly easy to maintain. Pike Nurseries offers these helpful tips to keep evergreens fresh and thriving throughout the cooler season.
- Maintain moisture: The key to keeping greenery fresh is maintaining moisture in the stems and leaves of the plant. Prior to hanging or used in décor, evergreens should be submerged in water overnight. A large galvanized tub or bathtub is great to use when doing this.
- Use a preservative: Once the evergreens have soaked overnight, spray them with an anti-transparent preservative like Wilt Stop to keep the plant from losing water through its stems and leaves. Products like Wilt Stop will seal the pores and minimize water loss.
- Keep away from heat: Hanging evergreens near heating vents or drafty areas can cause the plant to dry out faster. To help slow this process, house temperatures should be kept below 70 degrees or evergreens should be placed outdoors.
For more information on Pike Nurseries’ fresh garland and wreath varieties or to find easy décor tips, stop by any of the 17 store locations in Georgia and North Carolina or visit www.pikenursery.com.